Monday, February 26, 2007

Broccoli & Four-Cheese Stuffed Shells

A stuffed shell recipe from Cooking Light was the inspiration for this recipe. The one I wanted to make had spinach but when I took out my spinach from the freezer there was a big hole in the bag so I didn't want to take a chance with using it. After looking in my fridge for something to replace the spinach with, the thought hit me - broccoli! Next time I might use proscuitto and/or sun-dried tomatoes in it too! This one is going on our favourite recipe rotation! We like the broccoli addition better than the spinach!

Broccoli & Four-Cheese Stuffed Shells

1 box jumbo shell pasta (~ 40 shells)
1 (15-ounce) carton ricotta cheese
1/4 cup grated fresh Parmesan cheese
1/4 cup grated fresh Romano cheese
1/4 teaspoon black pepper
1/4 teaspoon salt
1 Egg, beaten
2-3 cups of broccoli florets, steamed and mashed
6 cups of your favourite tomato sauce ( I used my mom's rigatoni sauce without the meat)
1 cup shredded part-skim mozzarella cheese
1/8 cup grated fresh provolone (hard) cheese

Cook pasta according to package directions. Drain and set aside.

Preheat oven to 375°.

Combine ricotta, parmesan cheese, salt, pepper, egg, and mashed broccoli in a medium size bowl. Mix well.

In a 13 x 9-inch baking dish coat bottom with 3 cups sauce.

Spoon or pipe broccoli/cheese mixture into each shell. Arrange stuffed shells, seam sides up, in prepared dish. Pour remaining sauce over stuffed shells. Sprinkle with mozzarella and provolone.

Cover with foil. Bake at 375° for 30 minutes or until thoroughly heated.

No comments: