Saturday, October 27, 2007

Low-Fat Chocolate Marble Cake...

I had first seen this recipe about a year ago on my favourite blog - Nicole's Baking Bites! What first attracted me to this recipe was the fact that it was low in fat. At the time I was skeptical about just how good any low-fat dessert could be - Of course, now I know better! I gave it a try despite my skepticism and I was NOT disappointed!

Since discovering this recipe, I have made it countless times (and again this weekend!). I love it because it's so versatile. Topped with a chocolate glaze, it's elegant enough for a dinner party. Yet by itself it's non-fussy enough to bring to a casual get-together like a BBQ or picnic. It's also easy to make which puts it high on my list of desserts I turn to when I have no idea what to make and when I'm strapped for time. Besides the convenience of it, it is also SUPER DELICIOUS and I always get recipe requests whenever I make it. The cake itself is moist and fluffy. The chocolate cake swirl has an intense chocolate flavour. The white cake has a great tang from the yogurt! Together they are heaven!

I make a few changes though. I use vanilla yogurt in place of the plain kind. I use 1 tbsp. of instant coffee instead of the instant espresso since I can never find it. Lastly, I only measure out 1 cup of the yogurt batter instead of 1 1/2 cups.


Chocolate Marble Cake
By Alice Medrich "Chocolate and the Art of Low-Fat Desserts"
Serves 12

2 cups cake flour
1 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon instant espresso
1/3 cup unsweetened Dutch process cocoa
1-1/3 cups sugar
1 whole egg
1 egg white
6 tablespoons unsalted butter
1 cup nonfat plain yogurt
2 teaspoons vanilla extract

Have all ingredients at room temperature. Position the rack in lower third of the oven and preheat to 350F. Spray 8- to 10- inch tube pan with vegetable oil spray.Use a wire whisk to combine the flour with the baking powder, baking soda, and salt. Sift together. Set aside.

In a small bowl, combine espresso powder, cocoa, and 1/3 cup of the sugar with 1/4 cup water. Whisk until smooth. Set aside.

In another small bowl, whisk whole egg with egg white. Set aside.

Cut the butter into pieces and place in an electric mixer bowl. Beat for about 1 minute to soften. Gradually add remaining 1 cup of sugar and beat at high speed for about 3 minutes. Dribble eggs in slowly, about 1 tablespoon at a time, beating constantly for about 2 minutes. On low speed, beat in a third of the flour mixture. On medium-high speed, beat in half of the yogurt. On low speed, beat in half of the remaining flour. On high speed, beat in the rest of the yogurt and the vanilla. On low speed, beat in the remaining flour.

Measure out 1-1/2 cups of yogurt batter and mix into the cocoa mixture; set aside.

Use a large spoon to fill the bottom of the pan with about three quarters of the white batter placed in dollops. Cover the white batter with dollops of chocolate batter. Top the chocolate batter with small dollops of white batter spread so that the chocolate batter shows through. Use a table knife to marble the batters together with a circular or zigzag motion; be careful not to blend them too much.

Bake for 45 to 50 minutes, or until cake begins to pull away from the sides of the pan and a toothpick inserted into the center of the cake in several places comes out clean. Cool for 10 to 15 minutes on a rack. Unmold the cake. Cool completely before serving or storing. Serve cake upside down or right side up. Cake may be stored, well wrapped, at room temperature for 3 to 4 days or frozen for up to 2 months.

Nutritional Information: 230 calories and 6.9 grams of fat per serving.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

That cake looks so pretty. I've seen it mentioned on the CL BB in the past (I think I've read your raves there too) but never tried it.

It looks so good. I've never noticed cake flour but probably just went right past it in the supermarket.

I am not sure if I have a tube pan -- do you use the type that comes in two parts?

Thanks for posting -- love your blog!!

erinlovesmarc said...

lol...yeah I think I've mentioned it on the CLBB once or twice (or more!) lol...
I use regular flour actually instead of the cake flour...
And, yes, I use the tube pan that comes in 2 parts...but I'm sure you can adapt the recipe to use any type of pan...you just have to check baking times...

Anonymous said...

Thanks Erin. Glad to hear that you use regular flour -- do you use the same amount.

Can't wait to try it -- and didn't realize I had a tube pan so good to go.

Thanks again.

erinlovesmarc said...

Yup, same amount...I have a tendency to read recipes too fast so I didn't realize that the flour was supposed to be cake flour until the cake was already made...lol...oops! I really didn't find that it affected the recipe at all...the cake always turns out moist and fluffy...I think it helps that I sift all the dry ingredients though...that helps with any cake recipe! Let me know how it turns out for you! :)

Sorina said...

This looks so delicious. I am looking forward more posts from you!

Ashley said...

Why must you tempt me with heavenly desserts when I still have half a pie in the fridge? Good desserts always seem to come in spurts! :)