This my husband's absolute favourite pasta dish! I use the sauce for lasagna's too!
My Mom's Cheesy Rigatoni Recipe
2 lbs lean ground beef
2 cans hunt's tomato sauce, no spices (26 oz. cans)
1 medium onion (size of an apple), chopped
4 garlic gloves, minced
1/4 tsp pepper
1/4 tsp celery salt
1/4 tsp basil
1/4 tsp parsley
1/4 tsp italian seasoning
1/4 tsp chili powder
4 cups mozzarella cheese
1 bag Rigatoni pasta
1. In a large pot, over medium-high heat sauté onion and garlic and spices in olive oil until onion is transparent and garlic is fragrant.
2. Add ground beef and brown.
3. Add cans of tomato sauce and 1/2 cup cheese and bring to a boil. Once boiling, turn heat down to low and simmer 30 minutes uncovered, stirring every 10 minutes.
4. Meanwhile, cook rigatoni according to package directions and shred cheese.
5.Once sauce is ready remove from heat and add strained pasta to sauce. Stir.
6. In a 13x9 baking dish add half of the pasta/sauce, then top with about 1 1/2 cups cheese. Top with remaining pasta/sauce and then the remaining cheese.Cook at 350F for 20 minutes.
Note: If you like your cheese golden brown, broil for 5-10 minutes after the 20 minutes but keep an eye on it so it doesn't burn.