This recipe is an adaptation of a recipe that my stepdad's mom gave to her...a family favourite for spaghetti and meatballs!
My Mom's Sicilian Tomato Sauce
2 Cans crushed tomatoes 796ml/26.5 oz.
1 Can Hunt's Italian tomato sauce with onions, herbs, & spices 680 ml/22.5 oz.
1 Medium onion (size of an apple), chopped
4 Large garlic cloves, minced
1 tsp salt
1/4 tsp pepper
1/2 - 1 tsp hot pepper flakes
1 tsp italian seasoning
1 tsp dried basil
2 large bay leaves or 3 small ones
1 package pork back ribs 0.75 lb and/or 1 package lamb with bone (for stew) .75 lb and/orMeatballs (recipe to follow)
1. In a large pot, over medium-high heat sauté onion and garlic and spices in olive oil until onion is transparent and garlic is fragrant. Lower heat to Low.
2. Add cans of tomato sauce and 4 1/2 cups water.
3. Add spices.
4. Increase heat to medium heat, cover until boiling.
5. If using pork, cut into ribs and add to pot and/or lamb and/or meatballs (we usually make the sauce with pork and lamb or just with meatballs but you can use any combination of the 3)
6. Simmer covered on low 1 1/2 - 2 hours, stirring every 15 minutes.
1 lb lean ground beef or lamb (or combination of the 2
3 medium garlic cloves
1/2 tsp salt
1/8 tsp pepper
1/3 cup italian bread crumbs (with spices)
1/3 cup parmesan or romano cheese
3 tbsp milk
1. In a large bowl mix all ingredients together with your hands and shape into balls by rolling in the palm of your hand.