Wednesday, February 28, 2007

Spaghetti with Broccoli, Garlic, and Anchovies

I ate this for years until I found out from my mom that there were anchovies in the recipe. Like in a Caesar Salad dressing, it gives it that little something you can't quite put your finger on. Even if you don't like anchovies, you'll love this pasta dish. This isn't my mom's recipe but it reminds me of hers. My husband and I make this quite often - I made this for myself tonight!

Spaghetti with Broccoli, Garlic and Anchovies
The Best Recipe

Salt
1 pound spaghetti
4 tbsp olive oil
5 anchovy fillets, minced to a paste (2 tsp.)
9 medium garlic cloves, minced
1/2 tsp red pepper flakes
2 pounds broccoli (about 1 large bunch), florets cut into 1 inch pieces; stalks peeled, halved lengthwise, and cut into 1/4 inch pieces
1/2 water
3 tbsp chopped fresh parsley leaves
2 ounces parmesan cheese, freshly grated (1 cup)

1. Bring 4 quarts water to a rolling boil in a large pot. Add 1 tbsp salt and the pasta to the boiling water and stir to separate the noodles. Cook until al dente.

2. Meanwhile, combine 2 tbsp of the oil, minched anchovies, garlic, red pepper flakes, and 1/2 tsp salt in a 12-inch nonstick skillet. Cook, stirring constantly, over medium-high heat until fragrant about 3 minutes. Increase the heat to high, add the broccoli and water, cover, and cook until the broccoli begins to turn bright green, 1 to 2 minutes. Uncover and cook, stirring frequently, until the water has evaporated and the broccoli is tender, 3 to 5 minutes longer.

3. Drain the pasta and return it to the pot.

4. Add the broccoli mixture, the remaining 2 tbsp oil, the parsley, and cheese to the pasta and toss to combine. Serve immediately.

No comments: