Thursday, February 15, 2007

Vanilla Almond Biscotti's

This is one of those recipes that you once you've found, you stop looking for a better one...my absolute favourite biscotti recipe!

Vanilla Almond Biscotti
Watkin's

3 cups/750 mL all-purpose flour
2 tsp/10 mL Watkins Baking Powder
1/2 tsp/2.5 mL salt
4 eggs, slightly beaten
1 cup/250 mL sugar
1/2 cup/125 mL butter, melted
2 tsp/10 mL Watkins Original Double-Strength Vanilla
1-1/2 tsp/7.5 mL Watkins Almond Extract
3/4 cup/180 mL finely chopped blanched almonds

Directions
Combine first three ingredients, set aside. Beat together the eggs, sugar, and melted butter; add extracts. Add flour mixture, one third at a time; mixing thoroughly after each addition. Fold in almonds. Spread 1/2 of dough onto cookie sheet to form a loaf 12 inches/30 cm long, 3 inches/8 cm wide, and 1-1/2 inches/4 cm high. Repeat with remaining dough. Bake at 350ºF/180ºC for 20 minutes or just until starting to brown around edges; cool 10 minutes. Remove loaves from cookie sheet and place on cutting board. Cut across loaf into slices 1/2 inch/15 mm thick. Lay cookies cut side down on cookie sheet and return to oven for 12 minutes. Turn cookies over and bake an additional 5 to 10 minutes or until dry and crisp.

Makes 48 cookies.

My Notes: I used 1 1/2 cups of slivered almonds, 1 tsp of almond extract (trust me one is enough!) and 4 tsps of vanilla. These were crisp and slightly tender inside. Most of my other batches were hard as rocks but I preferred the texture of these...at least I know no one will break their teeth! I am pretty sure that it is the addition of the butter that gives that effect since almost all the rock-hard batches I threw out had no butter in them. The smell from the oven while they were baking was heavenly and the taste was amazing! My favorite biscotti recipe so far!

No comments: