Friday, March 09, 2007

Alton Brown's Cocoa Brownies

There wasn't anything good on TV last night after supper and I was craving something chocolate! And...we needed to finish up the vanilla bean ice cream in the freezer so brownies it was! I know - excuses, excuses!

I caved and decided I would try a full-fat recipe - it has been ages since I've made something that I haven't slimmed down or that wasn't already slimmed down! To justify it somewhat, I did skim through all the brownie recipes that I had that I wanted to try and since this one had cocoa and NOT chocolate it WAS slightly better for us! Well, that's what I told myself anyways...the other reason I chose this recipe in particular was because I've read so many great reviews lately! Marc and I are don't count calories etc. but I must admit I did cringe a bit when I saw that the recipe called for 1 CUP of BUTTER! I almost regretted making the recipe altogether! In the end though, it was worth every gram of saturated fat and every empty calorie (and please please don't make it worse by telling me how much that is)!

Marc and I agree that these were amazing! Very fudgy with a truffle-like center, intense chocolate flavour but not too sweet, and taller than a regular brownie which was fine by me - more brownie to love! Reviews I had read said to wait until completely cooled before trying them but we just couldn't - a warm brownie from the oven is just too tempting! Warm from the oven they were great but room temperature they were even better!

Forgot to add that the brown sugar is almost impossible to sift so don't even bother!

Alton Brown’s Cocoa Brownies

4 large eggs
1 cup sugar, sifted
1 cup brown sugar, sifted
8 ounces melted butter
1 1/4 cups cocoa, sifted (natural cocoa, not dutch process)
2 teaspoons vanilla extract
1/2 cup flour, sifted
1/2 teaspoon kosher salt

Preheat the oven to 300 degrees F.

Butter and flour an 8-inch square pan and line with parchment.

Sift the sugars, cocoa, flour, and salt all together.

In a mixer fitted with a whisk attachment, beat the eggs at medium speed until fluffy and light yellow. Add vanilla.

Add the sifted ingredients alternately with the melted butter.

Pour the batter into a greased and floured 8-inch square pan and bake for 45 minutes. Check for doneness with the tried-and-true toothpick method: a toothpick inserted into the center of the pan should come out clean. When it's done, remove to a rack to cool. After cool enough to handle, flip out of pan, peel off parchment paper, and flip back right side up to cool completely. Resist the temptation to cut into it until it's mostly cool.

No comments: