Thursday, March 15, 2007

Banana Nut Bread

I finally decided to play the "Sunday Game of the Week" on the boards. Usually a number is chosen and you are supposed to pick a recipe from your cookbook associated with that number and review it after you've cooked/baked it. This week they switched it up a bit - the theme was the silliest cookbook title. I don't have too many cookbooks with silly names but this is about as close as it gets - Quickies by Monda Rosenberg (Chatelaine Magazine).

After flipping through I decided on something with bananas since I had some over-ripe ones in the freezer and I had been wanting to make banana bread for months...it gave me a good excuse to out and buy the right pans!

This was really good! Nice crust and moist inside. The only change I made was I added 1 tsp of vanilla. Next time I make this I think I will add a pinch of nutmeg but it was perfect besides that.

Banana Nut Bread

With a fork, stir 2 cups all purpose flour with
1/2 cup granulated sugar,
3 tsp baking powder, 1/2 tsp baking sodaand 1/2 tsp salt.
Stir in 1/2 cup finely chopped nuts.
Whisk 1 egg with 3/4 cup milk and
1/4 cup vegetable oil.
Stir in 1 1/2 cups mashed bananas.
Pour in center of dry ingredients and stir until just mixed. It will be lumpy. Turn into a greased 9x5 in. loaf pan.
Bake at 350 until a toothpick inserted in center comes out clean, about 65 min. Makes 12 slices.

No comments: