Friday, March 30, 2007

Beef Tacos

I wanted to make tacos this week but I'm allergic to MSG so I had to find a recipe for a Taco Mix that I could make on my own. During my search I fell upon this recipe on the message boards with very good reviews.

Here are my changes to the recipe - I added 1/4 tsp crushed red pepper flakes, 1/4 tsp of ground pepper, and substituted celery salt for the regular salt - about 1/4 tsp. We skipped the step about frying the tortillas in the oil since we had already bought the flat bottom tacos.

This recipe is amazing! It rivals our chicken enchiladas! It was spicy (but not too spicy - just enough for us), full of flavour, and super delicious!

We bought the premade flat bottom tacos to eat them with but I had forgotten that I had bought the taco bowl molds which I haven't used yet. I would probably make it this way next time so I can use whole wheat tortillas instead of the fried pre-made ones - much healthier! Reading the other reviews I might even try to sub half the ground beef for chorizo next time.

Beef Tacos
Cook's Illustrated

2 teaspoons corn or vegetable oil
1 small onion -- chopped
3 cloves garlic -- minced
2 Tablespoons chili powder
1 teaspoon ground cumin
1 teaspoon ground coriander (I didn't have this)
1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
salt
1 pound ground beef -- 90% lean
1/2 cup canned tomato sauce
1/2 cup low sodium chicken broth
1 teaspoon brown sugar
2 teaspoons cider vinegar
8 6 inch corn tortilla
3/4 cup vegetable oil

TOPPINGS
shredded cheese
shredded iceberg lettuce
chopped tomato
chopped onion
sliced avocado
cilantro

Heat 2 teaspoons of oil in a medium skillet over medium heat. Add onion and cook until softened, stirring occasionally. Add garlic, spices, and 1/2 tsp salt; cook, stirring constantly, until fragrant, about 1 minute. Add ground beef and cook, breaking up meat, until no longer pink. Add tomato sauce, broth, brown sugar, and vinegar; bring to simmer. Reduce heat to low and simmer, uncovered, stirring frequently, until liquid has reduced and thickened, about 10 minutes.

While meat is cooking, prepare the taco shells.

Heat 3/4 cup oil in a small skillet over medium heat tp 350 degrees (about 5 minutes; oil should bubble when a small piece of tortilla is dropped in). Line rimmed baking sheet with double thickness paper towels.

Prepare one tortilla at a time. Using tongs to hold tortilla, slip half of tortilla into hot oil. With metal spatula in other hand, keep half of tortilla submerged in oil for 30 seconds (should be just set but not browned). Flip tortilla so the uncooked half is submerged in oil. Hold down with metal spatula, use tongs to retain shell shape. Fry until golden brown, about 1 1/2 minutes. Flip back to other side and fry again until golden brown. Transfer shell upside-down to paper towels to drain. Repeat with remaining tortillas.

Fill shells with meat mixture, and top as desired.

1 comment:

Laurie said...

I haven't had tacos in a loooong time, makes me want to have one right now!