Saturday, March 31, 2007

Lamb and Black Bean Chili

Marc and I are on this Mexican binge these days - as you've probably noticed, I'm sure!!! We love lamb and we love chili so I definitely wanted to try this!

I really tried to resist making changes but I just can't help it! At first I only made these changes; 2 cans of black beans instead of 3 (went with the reviews on CL's website) and 2 cans (28 oz.) of diced tomatoes. But after tasting the chili half way through simmering it was too bland for me so I added; 2 tsp. of crushed chilies, an extra tablespoon of chili powder, 1 tsp. celery salt, and 1 tsp. celery seed. I also simmered for 1 hour covered and 1 hour uncovered, then I followed the rest of the recipe.

This was very yummy! Spicy but not too spicy, lots of depth of flavor, and great combination of flavors. I am definitely keeping this recipe and adding to my recipe rotation! Next time I might try to sub ground beef for half the lamb and I'll definitely make corn bread to go with it!

Lamb-and-Black Bean Chili
Cooking Light

1 1/2 pounds lean ground lamb
1 cup chopped onion
2 garlic cloves, minced
2 (14 1/2-ounce) cans no-salt-added whole tomatoes, undrained and chopped
1 cup dry red wine
1 tablespoon chili powder
1 1/2 teaspoons ground cumin
1 1/2 teaspoons dried oregano
1 teaspoon sugar
1/4 teaspoon salt
3 (15-ounce) cans black beans, drained
1/4 teaspoon hot sauce
Cilantro sprigs (optional)

Combine first 3 ingredients in a Dutch oven; cook over medium heat until browned, stirring to crumble. Drain in a colander; pat dry with paper towels. Wipe drippings from pan with a paper towel; return mixture to pan.

Add tomatoes and next 6 ingredients (tomatoes through salt); bring to a boil. Cover, reduce heat, and simmer 2 hours; stir occasionally. Stir in beans and hot sauce. Cover; simmer 30 minutes. Garnish with cilantro sprigs, if desired. Yield: 8 servings (serving size: 1 cup)

NUTRITION PER SERVINGCALORIES 293(22% from fat); FAT 7.2g (sat 2.4g,mono 2.8g,poly 0.8g); PROTEIN 28.5g; CHOLESTEROL 61mg; CALCIUM 90mg; SODIUM 400mg; FIBER 4.6g; IRON 4.3mg; CARBOHYDRATE 29.9g

No comments: