Saturday, March 03, 2007

Lemon-Honey Drop Cookies

Marc is working a double-shift today which always leads me to baking up a storm! It's not all his fault though since it was my sister, Jenny, who bought us a mixer at our engagement 2 years ago!

This morning I woke up with a craving for those vanilla almond biscotti's I love so much and I was also craving those italian lemon cookies...I couldn't choose between the two so I ended up baking both...I had this particular cookie recipe in my to-try binder forever so I decided to give it a try...After reading the reviews on the website for the lemon cookies, I decided to increase the lemon extract to 1 tsp - I also used the pure extract because I find the imitation kind tastes like cough drops!...I only had vanilla yogourt so I just used that...

I'm still learning as I go with cookies since I don't make them often so I dropped too much batter and they were a little too close together...they really spread - a little too much...the final product is really really good despite my mistake dropping the batter! They are a very soft cookie much like really miniature cakes, lots of lemon flavour and with the icing they are delish! It's really hard to believe that these are low fat!

I can't wait until Marc gets home - he is going to love them!



Lemon-Honey Drop Cookies
Cooking Light

1/2 cup granulated sugar
7 tablespoons butter or stick margarine, softened
2 teaspoons grated lemon rind
1/3 cup honey
1/2 teaspoon lemon extract
1 large egg
1 3/4 cups all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/4 cup plain fat-free yogurt
Cooking spray
1 cup powdered sugar
2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
2 teaspoons grated lemon rind

Preheat oven to 350°.

Beat first 3 ingredients with a mixer at medium speed until light and fluffy. Add honey, extract, and egg; beat until well-blended. Lightly spoon flour into dry measuring cups; level with a knife. Combine flour, baking powder, and salt, stirring well with a whisk. Add flour mixture to sugar mixture alternately with yogurt, beginning and ending with flour mixture. Drop by level tablespoons 2 inches apart onto baking sheets coated with cooking spray. Bake at 350° for 12 minutes or until lightly browned.

Combine powdered sugar and juice in a small bowl; stir with a whisk. Brush powdered sugar mixture evenly over hot cookies. Sprinkle evenly with 2 teaspoons rind. Remove cookies from pan; cool on wire racks. Yield: 32 cookies (serving size: 1 cookie)

NUTRITION PER SERVINGCALORIES 89(28% from fat); FAT 2.8g (sat 1.6g,mono 0.8g,poly 0.2g); PROTEIN 1.1g; CHOLESTEROL 14mg; CALCIUM 15mg; SODIUM 81mg; FIBER 0.2g; IRON 0.4mg; CARBOHYDRATE 15.3g

1 comment:

Kristen said...

Those look so good! I can just imagine the flavors together... delicious! Very nice job!