Thursday, March 08, 2007

Sausage & Shrimp Jambalaya (Revamped!)

I was in the mood for Jambalaya tonight since Marc and I haven't had it in a while....as I was reading over the recipe I was discouraged - standing in front of the stove stirring is not my favourite thing in the world as you can imagine! I began thinking about my favourite Paella recipe - Chicken & Shrimp Paella from Cooking Light - and the reason I love it so much. Not only is it delicious but it's really easy to make. My favourite thing about the recipe is that you start it off on the stove and then all the work is finished in the stove - genius! Basically after sautéing the vegetables and sausage, you add the chicken stock and bring to a boil and once boiling you add the arborio rice and pop in a 400° oven for 30 minutes. So...I got to thinking, what if I followed the recipe but then finished it up in the stove like the Paella recipe...why not, I'll try it!

Well it turned out PERFECT! And now I will never stir another Jambalaya as long as I live!

Sausage & Shrimp Jambalaya
Cooking Light (Modified)

1 bag frozen uncooked 31-40 shrimp
Vegetable cooking spray
1 tablespoon vegetable oil
1 tablespoon all-purpose flour
1 cup chopped onion
1 cup chopped celery
1 cup chopped green bell pepper
4 medium hot italian sausages, casings removed
2 garlic cloves, minced
2 1/2 cups no-salt-added chicken broth
1/2 teaspoon dried parsley
1 teaspoon dried thyme
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon dried basil
1/4 teaspoon black pepper
1/2 teaspoon paprika
1 (14 1/2-ounce) can no-salt-added diced tomatoes, undrained
1 cup arborio rice, uncooked
5-6 dashes of tabasco (optional)

Preheat oven to 400°.

Peel and devein shrimp; set aside. Coat a large nonstick skillet with cooking spray; add the oil, and stir in flour.

Cook over medium-high heat 1 1/2 minutes or until brown, stirring constantly. Add onion and the next 4 ingredients; sauté 7 minutes or until tender. Add chicken broth and next 7 ingredients; stir well, and bring to a boil. Add rice; stir well. Wrap handle of pan with foil; cover pan. Bake at 400° for 25 minutes or until rice is tender and almost all liquid is absorbed. Stir in shrimp; cover and bake an additional 5 minutes or until shrimp are done.

Yield: 4 servings (serving size: 1 1/2 cups)

NUTRITION PER SERVINGCALORIES 356(16% from fat); FAT 6.4g (sat 1.4g,mono 1.9g,poly 2.3g); PROTEIN 19.7g; CHOLESTEROL 79mg; CALCIUM 111mg; SODIUM 625mg; FIBER 2.7g; IRON 5mg; CARBOHYDRATE 53.1g

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hello!
I tried your recipe for the oven finished Jambalaya and it was amazing! Thanks for posting such a wonderful recipe,and so easy to make! My boyfriend and I loved it and I will be making it a lot...

Best,
Aida
Beckley, WV

erinlovesmarc said...

you're welcome! :)