Sunday, April 29, 2007

Carrot Cupcakes with Cream-Cheese Icing

As the saying goes - "when the cats are away, the mouse shall play"! This was true this afternoon - my husband is working the evening shift and I went on a baking binge (yes I was bored!). I made my a batch of My Mom's Chocolate Chip muffins and another batch of Chocolate Espresso cupcakes and finally a batch of these Carrot Cupcakes from Martha Stewart. I chose this recipe since I've never made a recipe from MS that didn't turn out great and I had all the ingredients on hand. And, no...we're not going to eat them all!...I plan to bring them to work unless my husband beats me to it!

I didn't make any changes and they were super easy to make - even after grating my own carrots it took all of 10 minutes to prepare the batter, minus the icing, of course. The aroma out of the oven was heavenly and they are super yummy! Very moist, slightly spicy from the allspice, and just the right amount of nuts and coconut! I didn't taste them with the icing yet but I WILL...I was too tempted!




Carrot Cupcakes with Cream-Cheese Icing
Everyday Food - Martha Stewart

Makes 12

1 cup sugar
1/3 cup vegetable oil
2 tablespoons orange juice
1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
2 large eggs
1 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon ground allspice
1/2 teaspoon salt
3/4 cup plus 2 tablespoons flour
1 1/2 cups shredded carrots
1/2 cup chopped walnuts
1/4 cup shredded coconut, plus more for garnish
8 ounces cream cheese, (room temperature)
3/4 cup confectioners sugar
1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract

Directions
Preheat oven to 350 degrees; Make the cupcakes: In a bowl, combine sugar, vegetable oil, orange juice, vanilla extract, and eggs.

Stir in baking powder, baking soda, allspice, and salt. Add flour; mix. Stir in carrots, walnuts, and coconut.

Oil a standard muffin tin or line with paper cups; distribute batter evenly.

Bake until toothpick inserted in centers comes out clean, 25 minutes. Let cool before frosting. Garnish with toasted shredded coconut.

Make the icing: In a mixing bowl, combine cream cheese, confectioners’ sugar, and vanilla extract. Whisk until smooth.

5 comments:

Kristen said...

These look so good. Your blog always has the best recipes!

erinlovesmarc said...

Thanks, I try...*blush*...

Brilynn said...

Absolutely everything is better with cream cheese frosting! These look great.

Peabody said...

You are a lucky woman if you have never had a crappy recipe from Martha. You are one of the only people I know to have claimed that.
Cupcakes look great.

erinlovesmarc said...

Peabody...maybe I should take that back...LOL...I heard about you crepe cake the daring bakers made that was apparently a disaster! I guess I've just been lucky so far!