Friday, April 20, 2007

Chorizo (Spanish Sausage)

I didn't waste any time trying a recipe from my new cookbook "The Food and Wine of Spain"...our friends Ida and Max are coming over tomorrow night and I promised to make Paella...I usually use hot Italian sausages since chorizo is hard to come by in Montreal but as I was flipping through my new cookbook I noticed a recipe for homemade chorizo...of course, I wasn't going to go through all the trouble to put the meat into casings etc since I was going to crumble the sausage anyways so I just put it together and will use it tomorrow.

The recipe asks for 1/2 lb. of pork fat (we don't need any blocked arteries, thank you!) but I just left it out and left the rest of the recipe as is. I also doubled the recipe. Of course, this isn't the real thing since Chorizo is usually cured like the Italian Soprassata but it does taste exactly like it's dried counterpart once it's fried up, minus all the extra fat and curing!

Chorizo (Modified)
The Foods and Wines of Spain

3/4 pound lean ground pork
2 tsp coarse salt
1/4 tsp freshly ground pepper
2 tbsp paprika
1/4 tsp ground cumin
1/2 tsp ground coriander
1/2 tsp sugar
3 tbsp dry red wine
2 cloves garlic, crushed
1 tsp crushed dried red chili pepper

Mix everything together in a bowl. Cover and refrigerate overnight. Use as you would any other crumbled sausage.

No comments: