Saturday, April 28, 2007

Homemade Vanilla Extract

I'm almost out of the homemade vanilla I made in November last year so I thought it would be the perfect time to post my recipe since I'll be making some again this week. I don't think I'll ever buy store bought vanilla extract again since the homemade vanilla is so much more flavorful because of the vanilla seeds and obviously cheaper! You do need to let it sit in a dry spot (like in the back of a kitchen cabinet) for a least a month before using though - no instant vanilla here!

Homemade Vanilla Extract
my formula is 4 vanilla beans for 375ml of Brandy and 2 vanilla beans for 185ml

Cut the vanilla beans lengthwise with the end of a sharp knife. Put in a glass bottle and top with brandy. Put bottle in a dry/dark place and shake every 2-3 days for a month, up to 3 months until the brandy has darkened and the vanilla seeds have infused the brandy.

2 comments:

Kristen said...

This is something I've wanted to try making.

Heather said...

While I have quite a bit of Mexican Vanilla in my house, this is something I really must try.