Friday, April 13, 2007

Super Crispy Buttermilk Baked Chicken

Marc and I haven't made any new recipes in the last week...we've both been tired, over-worked and basically uninspired so, tonight being a Friday night, I made it a point to make something new!

I was really in the mood for chicken cutlets but bored with our usual recipe. I remembered by mom had come up with a concoction not too long ago in which she used italian bread crumbs, cornmeal, and flaxseed meal. I had been wanting to try it for awhile so I took out Great Food Fast cookbook since I remembered a recipe for a Buttermilk Baked Chicken that I also wanted to try - my inspiration for this recipe!

This was really yummy! It took all of 10 minutes to put together and the chicken (I used 4 large chicken breasts cut into 1-inch strips) was super crispy and very very moist! It was super delicious but I am sure I can tweak the recipe next time to make it even better - I'm still thinking about what I'm going to add. To be continued...

Super Crispy Buttermilk Baked Chicken

Serves 4

Ingredients
Vegetable oil, for baking sheet
1 cup Italian Bread Crumbs
1/2 cup cornmeal
1/2 cup flaxseed meal
2 cups buttermilk **see note below to make your own
3/4 tsp salt
1/2 tsp pepper
4 Pounds chicken parts, (preferably legs, thighs, and wings), rinsed and patted dry

Directions
Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Generously rub a baking sheet with oil.

In a large bowl, stir together buttermilk, salt, and pepper. In a separate bowl, mix breadcrumbs, cornmeal, and flaxseed meal.

Place the chicken in the buttermilk mixture, turning to coat evenly. Working with one piece at a time, remove chicken from liquid, letting excess drip back into bowl; dredge in the breadcrumb mixture, turning to coat evenly. Place coated chicken pieces on prepared baking sheet.

Bake until chicken is golden brown, about 35 minutes, flipping half way through.

**Note: To make soured milk as a substitution for buttermilk - put 2 tbsp lemon juice in a 8-cup liquid measuring cup, fill the rest with milk up to the 2-cup line. Stir and set aside 5 minutes.

3 comments:

Ana said...

Hi Erin!
It is Ana from the CL bulletin boards (nickname there = Aninha).
I made the chicken again and this time it was even better, and crispier, and jucier, really, the best! Even my 5-year old commented more on this time!
For the coating I used whole wheat panko crumbs, grated Parmesan, flaxseed meal, salt, pepper and garlic powder. And the thing I did different was to dip the chicken in a beaten egg white instead of the buttermilk.
Oh my, it was just perfect, the coating was all stuck to the chicken, and it was really crisp. I bet the flaxseed has something to do with this as I used to make them the same way without it and they would not come out this good. I love flax! :o)
Just wanted to let you know about my experiment! I made it twice this way and we like it a lot!
Thanks a lot for the flaxseed idea, it is awesome used this way!!
Ana

erinlovesmarc said...

Your changes sound like they are right up our alley...I think I'm going to try your combination of coatings next time I make this! thanks...

Barkley said...

I have been in search of a great oven fried chicken recipe and this is it. It was wonderful. I too am crazy for flaxseeds and look for ways to use them. Reading your blog has inspired me to purchase an ice cream maker and the canister is in the freezer as I type. I am trying to decide which of your recipes to try tonight!