Thursday, May 31, 2007

A Book Review: Marley & Me: Life and Love with the World's Worst Dog...

I had read so many great reviews about this book over the last couple months that I was dying to read it but, frugal as I am, I was waiting until it came out in paperback. Well...not one to pass up on a sale I snatched up the hardcover as I was browsing the shelves at our local bookstore when I saw it at 30% off!

All I can say is this book is amazing! It made me laugh (out loud!) and it made me cry (with my bad luck I happened to read the sad parts while I was on the subway on my way home from work - quite embarrassing - I was sniffling and tearing up like a baby!). I totally agree with other reviews I have read that only a dog-owner/lover (especially anyone who owns a Labrador) can fully appreciate this book! If I would have read this book before we had adopted Biscuit I probably wouldn't have enjoyed it as much BUT I probably would have learned a thing or two and/or would have probably been a little more prepared for the mischief, delinquency, and general work that comes with having a dog! Regardless, I'd do it all over again!

For the first half of the book it was as if I was reading about my own chocolate Lab Biscuit...seriously...the book could have been titled "Biscuit and Me" for all the similarities between Marley and my Biscuit! I kept saying to myself (and to my husband who kept rolling his eyes at me) "Oh my God - Biscuit did that too!", "Hahaha...we went through that", "Oh yeah, Biscuit would definitely do THAT", "Thank God, Biscuit never did THAT!"...I had so much fun relating to the author's love/hate relationship with Marley! There is nothing like a Labrador - they are overly rambunctious, mischievous, ill-mannered, disobedient, among other things, but we still love our Labs! Why...because despite their many many misgivings they are loving, protective, nurturing, and very loyal and they love us no matter what! Our Biscuit, in particular, would give us a million kisses a day if we let him and despite almost having a nervous breakdown during those first couple of weeks, I love him to death!

A definite repeat-read and new favourite!


3 comments:

Runner Girl DC said...

that is a great book.. i couldn't finish reading it on the Metro because it kept making me cry! :)

Peabody said...

One of my all time favorite books.

Kate said...

I loved that book as well and I don't have a Lab but I understood his relationship and devastation at Marley's passing all too well. I too shamelessly cried although I was on my couch, not the subway.