Sunday, May 06, 2007

Buckwheat Pancakes

I saw this recipe on the cooking light message board. I have been looking for a recipe that rivals my step-mom's FOREVER! I remember when my sister and I were younger and we'd visit on the weekends, we'd have buckwheat pancakes all the time. Feeling a little nostalgic I decided to look for a recipe...I'll have to ask my step-mom for her recipe to compare...these were very similar to how I remember them...really good...

Buckwheat pancakes
King Arthur Flour Whole Grain Baking

1 cup (4 1/2 ounces) buckwheat flour
3/4 cup (3 1/8 ounces) unbleached all-purpose flour
2 teaspoons Baking powder
1 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 egg
2 tablespoons molasses
2 cups buttermilk
1 tablespoon unsalted butter, melted

Combine flours, baking powder, baking soda and salt in a medium bowl.

In a smaller bowl, beat the egg lightly with the molasses. Whisk in the buttermilk and melted butter.

Form a well in the center of the dry ingredients and pour in the wet ingredients. Stir the batter swiftly with a few strokes just until the dry ingredients are thoroughly moistened.Heat a nonstick griddle or heavy skillet. If your surface isn't nonstick, brush it lightly with vegetable oil. When the surface of your pan is hot enough that a drop of water sputters across it, spoon the batter onto the hot surface, 1/4 cupful at a time. Let the pancakes cook on the first side until bubbles begin to form around the edges, 2 to 3 minutes. You may need to adjust the heat up or down to get the pancakes to cook through without scorching the surface or being too pale.

When the cakes are just beginning to set, flip them and let them finish cooking on the second side until they are golden brown, about one minute more. Serve immediately with orange butter and maple syrup.

5 comments:

Kristen said...

I've never had buckwheat pancakes. I bet these are delicious!

Kelly-Jane said...

Hi fellow DB!

I made pancakes this morning too, bacon cornmeal softies. Your buckwheat ones sound yummy :)

gilly said...

Hi Erin! I'm a huge fan of buckwheat, but I've never actually made buckwheat pancakes or crepes - that may have to change!

Freya and Paul said...

My husband would have these with egg, sausage and cheese but I prefer the sweet fillings!

Kate said...

I love buckwheat pancakes and will have to try this recipe.

I also love your blog! I just came across it and think it is delicious. I will keep checking back!