Sunday, May 27, 2007

Mango Frozen Yogurt

After an almost failed attempt at making frozen yogurt last week, I was ready to try again. I had 2 mangoes in the fridge that were super ripe and if we didn't eat them within a day or two they were going to go bad so I decided to find a recipe to use them up. I also had leftover yogurt from my last batch so I was all set!

I modified the recipe slightly since it was raining outside today and I was not in the mood to venture outside too far even if it WAS for food...the original recipe (below) called for apricot-pineapple juice, which I didn't have nor do we ever buy it so I used a combination of OJ and pineapple juice that I DID have. The original recipe also called for mace, which I didn't have either but even if I did, I just wasn't into using it. I also added 2 tablespoons of rum, which the recipe didn't call for but I liked the flavor it gave to the previous recipe I tried (kind of like a Daiquiri and we LOVE those!) so I threw it in too...

This recipe was even better than the first recipe I tried. The texture was right on target - smooth, creamy, sweet but not too sweet, and super yummy - just like a frozen yogurt should be. The other recipes were really good but so far this one is my absolute favorite! It's "Oh My God" Good!


Mango Frozen Yogurt (Modified - Original ingredients below...)
The Ice Cream & Frozen Yogurt Cookbook by Mable and Gar Hoffman

Makes about 1 quart

2 medium mangoes, peeled and cubed
1/4 cup orange juice
1/4 cup pineapple juice
1/3 cup sugar
2 tablespoons rum
3/4 cup plain low-fat yogurt, stirred

Mango pulp clings to a large seed in the center of the fruit. Slice strips of the pulp away from the seed; then cut pulp crosswise into small cubes.

In a blender or food processor fitted with a metal blade, combine mangoes, orange and pineapple
juices, rum, and sugar. Puree until smooth. Stir in yogurt. Freeze in ice cream maker according to manufacturer's directions.

1 serving contains: 118 cal; 28g carb; 1g fat; 2mg chol; 64mg calcium

Original recipe:

2 medium mangoes, peeled and cubed
1/2 cup apricot-pineapple juice
1/3 cup sugar
1/8 teaspoon ground mace
3/4 cup plain low-fat yogurt, stirred

2 comments:

Elaine Bindler said...

NIce!!!
It really hits the spot!
No rum in mine but a drop of extract.

Pam Starr said...

Thanks for posting this recipe...so wonderful and keeps well too.