Wednesday, May 23, 2007

Pina Colada Frozen Yogurt...

I was determined to use our ice cream maker this week so I took out my books and this was the perfect recipe to start with since Marc and I are addicted to Pina Colada! It also helped that we had over-ripe bananas and a pineapple sitting on our counter...

I didn't have vanilla yogurt so I just used the fat-free variety I had on-hand and added one tablespoon vanilla...

I realized after 45 minutes in the ice cream maker that I had made a mistake - I hadn't chilled the mixture before putting it in the machine! Obviously it was too late...serves me right for not reading the manual beforehand and assuming I knew what I was doing! Oh well...I will continue to learn the hard way until it finally sinks in to "Read the Stupid Manual!"....hehehe...

At this point I thought for sure I had ruined the recipe but I decided I was going to put the soupy mixture (not quite ice cream, not quite granita...) into the freezer overnight and see what would happen...I tasted it this morning and although the texture isn't the greatest (more sorbet than frozen yogurt), the taste was still amazing! I will make a slight modification next time though - I need to reduce the ratio of banana to pineapple (half a banana maybe and 1 cup more pineapple) but besides that it was yummy for an almost ruined recipe!

Pina Colada Frozen Yogurt
The Ice Cream & Frozen Yogurt Cookbook by Mable and Gar Hoffman

Makes about 1 quart

1 banana, peeled and quartered
1 cups ripe fresh pineapple chunks
1/4 cup flaked coconut
1/2 cup brown sugar
2 tablespoons rum or rum flavoring
1 cup vanilla low-fat yogurt, stirred

In a blender or food processor fitted with a metal blade, combine banana, pineapple, and coconut. Blend until almost smooth. Add brown sugar and rum or rum flavoring. Stir in yogurt. Freeze in ice cream maker according to manufacturer's directions.

1 serving contains: 175 cal; 36g carb; 2g fat; 2mg chol; 91mg calcium

5 comments:

Sara said...

That sounds delicious! Recipes like this are the reason I cannot own an ice cream maker. I would never leave the house!

erinlovesmarc said...

But you can make them low-fat!!!!

Brilynn said...

I love my ice cream maker!

I tried making a mango banana ice cream a while ago and the banana overwhelmed the mango as well.

Baking Soda said...

Utterly delicious! Now I think I just have to have an ice cream maker..

Kristen said...

Great job salvaging the recipe. This sounds delicious!