Tuesday, May 01, 2007

Paprika Roast Chicken

I've been dying to use the Sweet/Hot Smoked Paprika from Spain that I ordered on the net from La Tienda a couple of weeks ago. I couldn't resist opening up the canisters when I received them - I was very curious to find out what the difference was in smell and taste...there is no comparison between the paprika you buy at the grocery store and the paprika from Spain...seriously! Just the smell is worth the splurge for the 4.50$ per canister (70 grams) - sweet, smoky like bacon, but spicy like chili powder! I thought this recipe from Martha Stewart would be a great test of flavor! Of course I bought the smoked paprika to use in Paella but...oh well...

The only change I made was reducing the salt to 1 teaspoon. I had one little problem with this recipe - the smoke it made in the oven...I will definitely rub the paprika between the meat and the skin next time - that should solve the problem...the chicken was really really moist and flavorful though. The meat really absorbed the smokiness of the paprika. I will definitely be repeating this recipe...I served with some ruby mini potatoes that I tossed with rosemary, salt, pepper, and olive oil and roasted in the same pan as the chicken...

Paprika Roast Chicken
Everyday Food - Martha Stewart

1 tablespoon paprika
coarse salt and ground pepper
1 broiler/fryer chicken (3 1/2 to 4 pounds), giblets and liver discarded, patted dry
1 tablespoon olive oil

Directions
Preheat oven to 475 degrees. In a small bowl, mix paprika, 2 teaspoons coarse salt, and 1/4 teaspoon pepper. Season chicken cavity with about 1/4 of paprika mixture. Place chicken, breast side up, on a rack set in a roasting pan. Using kitchen twine, tie legs together; tuck wing tips under.

Rub chicken with oil; sprinkle all over with remaining paprika mixture. Roast until very dark, 15 to 20 minutes. Cover loosely with aluminum foil; continue roasting until an instant-read thermometer inserted in the thickest part of the thigh (avoiding bone) registers 165 degrees, about 30 minutes. Transfer to platter, and cover loosely with foil; let rest 10 to 15 minutes before serving.

3 comments:

MyKitchenInHalfCups said...

A Martha recipe that works! This does sound excellent.
You are 100% right about the La Tienda sweet and hot smoked paprikas, it's all I ever use any more.
Welcome to the Daring Bakers.

Elle said...

Erin, the chicken sounds yummy. I usually use Hungarian paprika, but might have to order some of this kind.
Welcome to the Daring Bakers.

Kristen said...

I was just looking for roasted chicken recipes. This sounds really good.