Sunday, May 20, 2007

Skinny Chimichangas

I was in the mood for Mexican tonight so I took out my new cookbook and chose this recipe which was has been on my to-try list forever! It was super easy to make, slightly spicy, and full of flavor AND it definitely did not taste like it was low in fat.

I made some changes because I didn't have all the ingredients on hand. I substituted shredded chicken (from a precooked rotisserie BBQ chicken) for the ground turkey, I used 1/2 tsp hot pepper flakes instead of the green chiles since I didn't have any on-hand, and I used jalapeno monterey jack instead of cheddar cheese.

A definite repeater!

Funny tidbit: "Chimichanga" is the equivalent of "thingamajig" in Spanish...

Skinny Chimichangas
WW Takeout Tonight

Serving Size : 4

1/2 pound ground skinless turkey breast
1 onion, finely chopped
1 clove garlic, minced
2 teaspoons chili powder
1 teaspoon dried oregano
1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
1 (8-ounce) can tomato sauce
2 tablespoons chopped mild green chiles
1/3 cup shredded reduced-fat cheddar cheese
4 (8 inch) fat-free flour tortillas

Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F. Spray a nonstick baking sheet with nonstick spray; set aside.

Spray a medium nonstick skillet with cooking spray; set over medium-high heat. Add the turkey, onion, garlic, chili powder, oregano, and cumin. Cook, breaking up the turkey with a wooden spoon until browned, about 6 minutes. Stir in tomato sauce and the chiles; bring to a boil. Reduce the heat and simmer, uncovered, until the flavors are blended and the mixture thickens slightly, about 5 minutes. Remove from heat and stir in cheddar.

Meanwhile, wrap the tortillas in foil and place in the oven to warm for 10 minutes.

Spoon about 1/2 cup of the filling into the center of each tortilla. Fold in the sides, then roll to enclose the filling. Place the chimichangas, seam-side down, on the baking sheet. Lightly spray the tops of the tortillas with cooking spray. Bake until golden and crisp, about 20 minutes. Do not turn.

Per serving (1 chimichanga): 241 cal, 2g fat, 46mg chol, 613mg sod, 34gcarb, 3g fiber, 22g pro, 184mg calc, 4 points

1 comment:

Kristin said...

Thanks for posting the Skinny Chimichanga recipe and noting the substitution. I have some shredded chicken that was looking for a dish and this is going to be it. I may also sub corn tortilla's for the flour as I have some of them languishing in my freezer.

I also wanted to add that I too, *absolutely* love that Creamy Parmesan Orzo dish. Not infrequently I'll serve it as a main dish with some veggies as a side. Happiness on a plate!