Sunday, May 20, 2007

Watermelon Granita

Yesterday my hubby and I went for ice cream with our good friends, Ida and Max, to Roberto Gelateria (2221 Bélanger, corner Iberville) - a well-known Montreal landmark for homemade Italian ice cream. Between the four of us we tried the Baci, Tiramisu, Irish Cream, Coconut, Lemon Granita, and Mango Sorbet...in one word - amazing! In fact, I can honestly say there is no comparison to any other ice cream I have ever had and I'd pay money and lots of it for the recipes, if given the opportunity!

Back to the recipe....so after last night I KNEW I had to get my ice cream maker out of storage. After going through my recipes I finally decided on a granita recipe instead since I had some watermelon in the fridge that needed to be eaten up...I didn't need the ice cream maker but I'm sure I'll be using it soon with the warm weather coming....

I made one change to the recipe...I replaced 2 tablespoons of water with rum...I was surprised how easy this was to make....it took all of 10 minutes to put together!

This was super yummy! Not too sweet and great flavor....a great summer dessert!

Watermelon Granita
Chatelaine Magazine

Makes 5 cups (1.25 L)

1/2 cup (125 mL) granulated sugar
3 tbsp (45 mL) water
1/4 tsp (1 mL) salt
8 cups (2 L) coarsely chopped seedless watermelon
2 tsp (10 mL) finely grated lime or lemon peel (optional)

1.Combine sugar, water and salt in a small saucepan and set over medium heat. Stir frequently until mixture starts to bubble and sugar is dissolved, 2 to 3 minutes. Remove from heat.

2.Place half the watermelon cubes in a blender or food processor. Whirl until no chunks remain. Pour into a 9x13-inch (3-L) baking dish. Pour sugar mixture into food processor and add remaining watermelon. Whirl until no chunks remain. Pour into baking dish. Add peel. Stir to evenly mix. Cover pan with plastic wrap.

3.Freeze until ice crystals form at edges in pan, about 40 minutes. Using a fork, scrape and stir to evenly distribute ice crystals. Repeat every 40 minutes until frozen, about 2 1/2 to 3 more hours. Using a fork or spoon, scrape granita down length of pan, forming icy flakes. Spoon into bowls and serve. Granita will keep well, covered and frozen, up to 5 days.

Nutrients per 1/2 cup (125 mL): 0.8 g protein, 0.6 g fat, 19.1 g carbohydrates, 0.5 g fibre, 0.2 mg iron, 10 mg calcium, 60 mg sodium, 79 calories