Wednesday, June 20, 2007

I've been Maimed...

Joking, of course! Actually Brilynn from Jumbo Empanadas asked me to participate in a Meme - there was no injuries involved, I promise!

A meme is like an interview where the host of a blog is asked a few questions by a fellow blogger...that's my interpretation anyways. I am then supposed to ask other fellow bloggers questions of my own and so it continues...so if anyone is interested I would gladly oblige...

1- What three people, dead or alive, real or fictional, would you like to have over for dinner and what would you eat?
Does it have to be over at MY house for dinner...couldn't it be on the shores of Spain or a villa in Italy....sigh....okay, so my house it is, I guess! A woman can dream!
Firstly, of course I'd want my husband there...he's my best friend and I'd want him to share in my excitement! I wouldn't want him to miss it!
Second, I definitely want Morgan Freeman to be invited. No attraction there, I swear! He's just always been my all-time favourite actor. I think he's so interesting, funny, so genuine, and he has integrity unlike other celebrities from Hollywood. And, he's talented to boot...actor, director, musician, Broadway star, academy-award winner, pilot...in truth, the only celebrity I would actually want to meet....
Third, would have to be God (and not because Freeman played God in "Bruce Almighty" - purely unrelated)! I can almost imagine the deep and philosophical conversations we would all have! I have so many questions, so many things I'd love to discuss and debate...love, fate, poverty, natural disasters, war, religion (I could go on and on...) I think it would be quite an interesting dinner party - I am sure we would all be up quite late, into the wee hours!
Now, what would I serve?!...hmmm....dinner would definitely be tapas or antipasto's....a spread of cheeses, cold cuts, baguette, olives, nuts, shrimp in garlic oil, grilled vegetables, chorizo in a romesco sauce, flank steak with a chimichurri sauce, paella, and, of course, lots and lots of wine! We could nibble and talk to our hearts content, never having to leave the table. For dessert, I'd make a tiramisu, just because it's my favourite. Obviously, it would be summer and it would be out on the patio, a clear warm night and the stars would be twinkling and the yard would be illuminated with lanterns and candles with some jazz playing in the background. Yes, I have a vivid imagination....hehehe...

2- If you were edible, what would you be made of?
Aren't I already edible...ahem...cough...okay so maybe that was a tasteless joke *wink* but, come on, I'm sure I was set up with that question! Seriously though (hahaha!), I'd definitely want to be a dessert - a rich chocolate one!

3- What's your favourite food related childhood memory?
Eating pierogies at my gramma's house - hands-down! She always makes them for the family on special occasions when we go to visit her in Ottawa - Easter, sometimes on Thanksgiving or Christmas (in addition to the turkey), birthdays, introducing someone new to the family, reunion, or sometimes for no reason at all - just because she knows we all love them so much. I remember I always used to watch her make them in awe (I still do when I visit), partly for the work involved, the ease in which she makes them, and her dedication - it takes at least half a day to make them and when we sit down for supper and she sees how happy we are to be eating our favourite meal, you can see how happy she is! Since I've been married I've been dying to learn to make them since I'd like to keep the tradition! It helps that my husband absolutely loves them too!

4- What's something that you've never made yourself but enjoy eating elsewhere?
Steak and rack of lamb! I love cooking but I'm just NOT good with the BBQ or grilling meat in any way, to be honest....I haven't gotten the cooking temperature/time quite figured out just yet - the whole medium or medium-rare thing is lost on me! Perhaps it's the lack of experience in this department. I figure a filet mignon, beef tenderloin, or rack of lamb are already quite expensive cuts of meat and if I screw up, it's money wasted. The few times we did experiment with recipes we ended up totally overcooking - nothing worse than an overcooked steak or rack of lamb! Anyways, for the amounts of times that we get a chance to BBQ (our summers are sooo short) and the special occasions that come up to warrant such fancy meals, it's just better to go out and have someone else cook for you!

5- If you won the lottery, what would you do?
I often say to my husband that I definitely think I missed my calling in life and that I should have been a chef or a pastry chef. I didn't even know I had any talent at all or love of the culinary arts until I started cooking/baking for my husband 2 years ago. Once I discovered I had a knack for it, and loved it, I always said that if ever we won the lottery I'd go back to school to be some sort of chef! I probably will go to cooking school ONE day (when we can afford it - which will be in about 10-15 years!) but not to pursue a career at that point in my life, only for my own personal enjoyment. Perhaps I will change my mind one day and decide to change careers...I would love that possibility...
Of course, if I ever won the lottery I would also give a lot away to close friends and family and charities and travel the world! But I guess that goes without saying...

Thanks Brilynn for the great questions!

Directions for the Interview Meme
1. Leave a comment saying, "Interview me."
2. I will respond by emailing you five questions. Please make sure I have your email address.
3. You will update your blog with the answers to the questions.
4. You will include this explanation and offer to interview someone else in the same post.
5. When others comment asking to be interviewed, you will ask them five questions.

3 comments:

Kristen said...

Very interesting. I agree with you about Morgan Freeman. He is such an interesting guy...I love that he really stretches himself in the various parts he plays.

Brilynn said...

Thanks for playing along, great answers!

Maxx said...

I went through your blog, it was good and I think could link it to mine. Please write me your opinion.
You could see this for it may help you a lot.
http://spiritualfacts.blogspot.com/

-Maxx