Tuesday, June 05, 2007

Latté Frozen Yogurt

Tomorrow night I promised our friend's Ida and Max that we would have them over for tacos! At first, I thought of making a Mexican dessert to go with the theme but then I changed my mind and decided to go with a chocolate or coffee frozen yogurt. Since we all love coffee, especially lattés, I chose this recipe.

It was a little more labor intensive than the other recipes I have tried so far since the recipe starts off on the stove (with vigourous stirring) but it didn't take longer than the other recipes and, anyways, it would have been all worth it had it taken double the time! I was also worried about having scrambled eggs when I poured the hot liquid into the beaten egg but if you whisk continually as you're pouring, the eggs won't scramble.

Of course, I had to have a sneak a taste. I mean, what IF it wasn't good! In one word - YUMMY! It tastes exactly like a latté - more precisely, a Starbuck's latté (my favourite)! The coffee flavor is pronounced but not too strong; creamy and smooth; sweet but not too sweet! I was skeptical at first about using the marshmallows but I am convinced now that it is the marshmallows that give it that "something" to make it taste like a latté.

Next time I make this I might double or triple the vanilla to turn this into a Vanilla Latté Frozen Yogurt - then it will be absolutely perfect!

Can't wait for tomorrow night!

Latté Frozen Yogurt
The Ice Cream & Frozen Yogurt Cookbook by Mable and Gar Hoffman

Makes about 1 quart

2/3 cup sugar
2 teaspoons cornstarch
1 1/4 cup low-fat milk
1 tablespoon instant-coffee crystals
1 egg
1/4 cup miniature or cut-up large marshmallows
1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 1/2 cups plain low-fat yogurt, stirred

In a 1 1/2- or 2-quart saucepan, combine sugar and cornstarch. Stir in milk and instant-coffee. Cook and stir over medium heat until mixture simmers. In small bowl, beat egg slightly; stir about 1/2 cup hot mixture into beaten egg. Pour egg mixture into pan with remaining hot liquid. Cook and stir over low heat until slightly thickened. Remove from heat; add marshmallows and stir until dissolved. Cool. Stir in vanilla and yogurt. Freeze in ice cream maker according to manufacturer's directions.

1 serving contains: 175 cal; 32g carb; 3g fat; 43mg chol; 180mg calcium

1 comment:

Kristen said...

I bet this was good. A nice refreshing dessert after dinner with friends!