Thursday, August 09, 2007

And Apology and Chocolate Mousse....

I apologize to all my readers if I've been slightly neglectful of my blog over the last month or so. The renovations have restarted on my house in full force - not only has it been too hot to cook or bake, I've also been tired and mostly uninspired! I guess stress can do that! Anyhow, this past week we've been shopping around for the renovations we are doing in the kitchen (ceramics, backsplash, faucet, paint, sink, hardware) so all this talk about a BRAND NEW kitchen has brought my inspiration back! I was also under the impression that the new kitchen cabinets were only being delivered late fall but apparently we will be receiving them by the end of August, beginning of September! I'm soooo excited! What's also added to my excitement is the trip we recently booked in Cuba for one week in September - we definitely NEED a vacation!

Soooo...with my inspiration back I starting flipping through recipes I've saved to try. I came across a chocolate mousse but it had 30 grams of fat per serving so I was on a mission to find a lighter recipe that had less heavy cream. Finally, I found a recipe from Cooking Light that uses tofu instead of heavy cream. Low in fat and high in protein - that's what attracted me to the recipe! I must admit though, I was a bit hesitant since I had read some reviews that the mousse had a slight after taste but I decided to made it anyways. I only ran into one little problem... the recipe calls for a candy thermometer but I only had a meat thermometer who's max temperature is 200° so I improvised. I brought the sugar and water to 200° and let it boil for about a minute and a half longer and figured it should have passed 238° by then. The other change I made is I used Mori-Nu silken soft tofu instead of firm tofu after reading other reviews. I let it set overnight and I snuck a taste this morning - it was amazing! You can't taste the tofu AT ALL! I was a bit worried it wouldn't set up like a real mousse because when I poured the mousse into the glasses it was really liquidy but it set up nicely and it had the exact consistency of a mousse....airy, light and creamy! I might tinker with the recipe next time since I found it just a tad too sweet and it needs more chocolate, possibly half dark, but all in all it was really really good! There is a similar recipe from Ellie Kreiger that uses 3 ounces high quality bittersweet chocolate and 1/4 cup unsweetened cocoa powder so I will substitute those for the chocolate chips and probably reduce the sugar to 1/4 cup.

Stay tuned - I will be trying out a chocolate/hazelnut panna cotta recipe this coming weekend!


Picture Courtesy of Cooking Light

Chocolate Mousse
Cooking Light

3/4 cup semisweet chocolate chips, melted
1 (12.3-ounce) package reduced-fat extra-firm tofu
1/4 teaspoon salt
3 large egg whites
1/2 cup sugar
1/4 cup water
Fat-free whipped topping, thawed (optional)
Grated chocolate (optional)

Place chocolate and tofu in a food processor or blender, and process 2 minutes or until smooth.

Place salt and egg whites in a medium bowl, and beat with a mixer at high speed until stiff peaks form. Combine sugar and water in a small saucepan; bring to a boil. Cook, without stirring, until candy thermometer registers 238°. Pour the hot sugar syrup in a thin stream over egg whites, beating at high speed. Gently stir one-fourth of meringue into the tofu mixture; gently fold in remaining meringue. Spoon 1/2 cup mousse into each of 8 (6-ounce) custard cups. Cover and chill for at least 4 hours. Garnish with whipped topping and grated chocolate, if desired.

Yield: 8 servings

CALORIES 147 (34% from fat); FAT 5.6g (sat 3.3g,mono 1.8g,poly 0.5g); PROTEIN 5.2g; CHOLESTEROL 0.0mg; CALCIUM 26mg; SODIUM 134mg; FIBER 0.2g; IRON 0.9mg; CARBOHYDRATE 22.5g Cooking Light, MAY 2001

2 comments:

Kate said...

Funny how stuff like this happens....I was just looking at another recipe for a 'light' mousse using tofu and thinking it would be yummy. And if I made it when my son wasn't at home, I bet I could sneak it by him before he notices it's unique ingredient!!

This does look delish. And believe me, when your new kitchen is done, you will be cooking SO MUCH we'll probably get sick of it!!!

well, maybe not

erinlovesmarc said...

LOL...my hubby is hoping I'll be baking up a dessert-storm! :)