Monday, October 22, 2007

Cream of Broccoli Soup

What do you do when you have a whole bunch of broccoli to use up, it's chilly outside and you're craving something comforting like soup? You make cream of broccoli soup, of course!

I originally wanted to make a recipe I found in the Everyday Food mag but I didn't have any potatoes so I took out my trusty "How to Cook Everything" cookbook and found a recipe that called for my choice of rice or potatoes - perfect! What I love about this cookbook is that you can adapt any recipe and personalize because almost every recipe has add-in's, substitutions, and tips...I keep wondering why I don't use this cookbook more often! Maybe I need to do a little more cooking and a little less baking - yeah right!

So the verdict: OH MY GOD, AMAZING! Not only is it super tasty, it was ridiculously easy and fast to make! The soup is a little chunkier than the soups I've had at restaurants but I think it has to do with the fact that my blender isn't the best in the world. Regardless, the taste is out of this world! I'm glad I decided to add some garlic and onions to the original recipe - this is really a keeper recipe!


Picture Courtesy of Everyday Food


Cream of Broccoli Soup
Adapted from recipe from "How to Cook Everything"

1 small onion, chopped
2 garlic cloves, minced
4 cups loosely packed broccoli
1/2 cup rice
4 cups low-fat reduced-sodium chicken stock
sea salt and freshly ground pepper, to taste
1/4 cup half-and-half

1. In a small saucepan saute the onion and garlic until the onions are translucent and fragrant. Set aside.

2. Combine the broccoli, rice, and stock in a large, deep saucepan or casserole and turn the heat to medium-high. Bring to a boil, then lower the heat to medium and cook until the vegetables are very tender, about 15 minutes.

3. Cool broccoli mixture slightly, then puree with garlic and onion mixture in batches in blender (you may prepare the soup in advance up to this point. Cover, refrigerate for up to 2 days, and reheat before proceeding.).

4. Return to the pot and reheat over medium-low heat. Season with salt and pepper, then add the cream; heat through again and serve.

1 comment:

Jennifer said...

How to Cook Everything is a favorite turn-to cookbook of mine! You're exactly right-it's recipes are easily adaptable. I'll have to keep this recipe in mind. I don't like broccoli much, but am trying to incorporate it into my diet because it's so good for me!