Friday, May 16, 2008

Easiest Berry Terrine...

Lately I've been craving Jello but since I hate the storebought kind, I went on a quest to make a homemade version. I found a recipe while I was flipping through one of my most recent cookbook purchases - Lori Longbotham's Luscious Berry Desserts. It looked easy to make and very delicious so I decided to go for it....

I was right!!! It WAS very easy to make and DELISH!!!! So much better than the storebought Jello!


Easiest Berry Terrine
Recipe from: Luscious Berry Desserts by Lori Longbotham

Serves 8 to 10

2 cups cranberry-raspberry juice (divided use)
2 envelopes plain gelatin
1/2 cup packed light brown sugar
2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
5 cups mixed ripe berries

Pour 1/2 cup of the cranberry-raspberry juice into a small bowl, sprinkle the gelatin over it, and let soften for 5 minutes.

Heat the sugar with 1/2 cup of the cranberry-raspberry juice in a medium saucepan over medium-high heat, stirring until the sugar is dissolved. Remove the pan from the heat and add the gelatin mixture and lemon juice, stirring until the gelatin is dissolved. Stir in the remaining 1 cup cranberry-raspberry juice.

Place the berries in an 8 1/2-by-4-inch loaf pan. Pour the juice mixture over them and press the berries down so they are submerged. Refrigerate, covered, until set and thoroughly chilled, at least 3 hours, or for up to 2 days.

To serve, run a table knife around the inside of the pan and dip the pan in hot water for about 5 seconds, then invert onto a serving platter and shake to release the terrine. Serve cut into slices.

1 comment:

Sophie said...

Ooh, how exciting! A recipe for homemade jello! I have to admit, I've always used the one in the box. I thought it'd be too difficult to make my own, but this is an inspiring recipe. This looks like it'd be a great summer treat. I'll definitely try it out soon :).